Clos Puy Arnaud is located at an altitude of 90 to 100 meters on an extraordinary plateau terroir. It lies on limestone with starfish fossils mixed with a few limestone veins from Castillon.
A magnificent lone elm tree has been flourishing at Puy Arnaud for more than 150 years. Its majestic presence makes this tree the “master” of the premises, hence its presence on our labels. Now that Elm’s robustness seems significantly weakened in Europe, its vitality and nobility appear as the expression of this place’s energy. The domain has been entirely organic since 2001, and biodynamic since 2004. Indeed, it was one of the first domains in right bank Bordeaux to use biodynamics.
In Guides Féret wine guides dating from 1850, 1874 and 1898, the Castillon region was part of the Saint-Emilionnais, and in 1874 Puy Arnaud was referred to as Premier Cru. In 1898, it earned a specific footnote, as follows: “The Crus de Puy Arnaud, on the rocks of Puy Carpin, planted with fine grape varieties and cultivated with the utmost care, produces one of the most sought-after wines in the region”. On the label, the mention “near Saint-Émilion” is allowed.